This Gator™ XUV Crossover Utility Vehicle is equipped with power steering and a dual A-arm front suspension. These automotive-type systems exhibit excellent handling characteristics, as well as responsive steering and low steering effort:
- Steel ball-bearings secure the steering shaft and deliver smooth, responsive operation
- Completely sealed rack and pinion for long life
- Low steering ratio (lock-to-lock) provides more responsive steering and less operator input
- Shaft U-joints are phased for a smooth, uninterrupted motion of the steering wheel
- Tilt steering wheel with XXXX in of travel
Electric power-assist steering (EPAS) system has advanced features:
- Anti-kickback feature reduces the amount of steering unwinding when traversing difficult terrain.
- The system is speed-sensing and adjusts steering effort as the speed of the vehicle changes.
- As speed increases, there is less steering assist for improved road feel.
- As speed decreases, steering assist increases to give lower steering efforts for improved maneuverability.
- A warning/functional light on the instrument panel provides self-diagnostics and a warning light in the situation of no assist.
- Torque sensor measures steering wheel input so the on-board computer can provide the appropriate output for various driving situations.
With the EPAS system, the operator maintains a direct mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the front wheels. The power steering system interfaces mechanically with the steering system by being inserted between the steering wheel and the rack-and-pinion assembly.
A differential torque sensor is integrated into the power steering assembly. The circuit board assembly is also integral with the power steering assembly.
Power steering does not reduce turning radius but significantly reduces steering effort by approximately 85 percent compared to models without power steering.
EPAS INTERFACE DIAGRAM
EPAS interface diagram
The numbered descriptions refer to the EPAS interface diagram shown above:
- Torque sensor
- Electronic control unit (ECU)
- Fail-safe relay
- Current/thermal control circuit
- Reduction gears
- DC motor
- Rack and pinion
- Function/warning light
- Key power and ground
- Vehicle speed sensor
- Instrument cluster
- Relay module
Powerful diesel engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response
The machine is powered by an 854-cc (52.1-cu in.), 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-cycle diesel engine. It produces 48 Nm of torque (35.5-lb-ft) of torque at 2600 rpm.
The advanced engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response during operation.
The engine offers the following performance and reliability features:
- Indirect-injection diesel with glow plugs ensures fast starts in cold temperatures
- 17.1 kW (22.9 hp*) at 3600 rpm
- Overhead valve design for greater efficiency and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter for easy servicing
- Quiet operation through the entire rpm range
- Molybdenum-coated pistons
- High-stiffness cylinder block and gearcase
- High-flow water pump and optimized water jackets maintain a steady operating temperature and eliminate hot spots
- Full-pressure lubrication system
- In-line mechanical fuel pump
- Five-point, rubber isolated for quiet operation and minimal vibration
- Dry replaceable dual-element air cleaner with remote intake and a restriction indicator
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits the operator to check the coolant level without removing the radiator cap
- Open front grille allows proper air flow and ventilation to the radiator.
* The engine horsepower information is provided by the engine manufacturer to be used for comparison purposes only. The actual operating horsepower will be less.
Dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics
To complement the robust frame, the XUV is equipped with four-wheel independent suspension.
A dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics.
The entire suspension system has been optimized to handle no cargo to maximum cargo without compromising ride quality or vehicle stability.
DUAL A-ARM INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION FEATURES INCLUDE:
- 200.7 mm (7.9 in.) of travel provides ample wheel travel to keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction, excellent ride quality, and vehicle control
- Heavy-duty nodular cast-iron knuckles support the constant-velocity (CV) shaft and wheel
- Maintenance-free rubber torsional A-arm pivots for long life and quiet operation
- CV shaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
- Coil-over shocks absorb the most demanding terrain
Dual A-arm independent rear suspension features include:
- Unequal length and dual A-arm construction for superior wheel control and travel
- 231.14 mm (9.1 in.) of total travel provides ample wheel travel to keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction, excellent ride quality, and vehicle control
- Coil-over shocks absorb the most demanding terrain
- A-arms made from square/rectangular tubing reduce weight while remaining rigid
- Heavy-duty nodular cast-iron uprights support wheel loads with a double row of ball bearings
- CV driveshaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
- Rear sway bar for lateral stability
Attachment-ready electrical system
On M- and R-trim vehicles, adding attachments and accessories is made easier by the inclusion of some main wiring harnesses that facilitate efficient hook-up.