This Gator™ XUV Crossover Utility Vehicle is equipped with power steering and a dual A-arm front suspension. These automotive-type systems exhibit excellent handling characteristics, as well as responsive steering and low steering effort:
- Steel ball-bearings secure the steering shaft and deliver smooth, responsive operation
- Completely sealed rack and pinion for long life
- Low steering ratio (lock-to-lock) provides more responsive steering and less operator input
- Shaft U-joints are phased for a smooth, uninterrupted motion of the steering wheel
- Tilt steering wheel with XXXX in of travel
Electric power-assist steering (EPAS) system has advanced features:
- Anti-kickback feature reduces the amount of steering unwinding when traversing difficult terrain.
- The system is speed-sensing and adjusts steering effort as the speed of the vehicle changes.
- As speed increases, there is less steering assist for improved road feel.
- As speed decreases, steering assist increases to give lower steering efforts for improved maneuverability.
- A warning/functional light on the instrument panel provides self-diagnostics and a warning light in the situation of no assist.
- Torque sensor measures steering wheel input so the on-board computer can provide the appropriate output for various driving situations.
With the EPAS system, the operator maintains a direct mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the front wheels. The power steering system interfaces mechanically with the steering system by being inserted between the steering wheel and the rack-and-pinion assembly.
A differential torque sensor is integrated into the power steering assembly. The circuit board assembly is also integral with the power steering assembly.
Power steering does not reduce turning radius but significantly reduces steering effort by approximately 85 percent compared to models without power steering.
EPAS INTERFACE DIAGRAM
The numbered descriptions refer to the EPAS interface diagram shown above:
- Torque sensor
- Electronic control unit (ECU)
- Fail-safe relay
- Current/thermal control circuit
- Reduction gears
- DC motor
- Rack and pinion
- Function/warning light
- Key power and ground
- Vehicle speed sensor
- Instrument cluster
- Relay module
Extra-durable deluxe cargo box ensures hard-working performance and longevity
The deluxe cargo box consists of a 15 percent glass-filled polypropylene composite material that eliminates rust and dents and reduces noise.
DELUXE CARGO BOX TAILGATE
The tailgate can be opened or removed for easier cleanout and to carry longer items. The tailgate has been improved, features truck-like performance, and can be operated with one hand.
The standard-installed lanyards can also be removed to lower the tailgate to 150 degrees for convenient loading and unloading tasks.
DELUXE CARGO BOX TILT
The deluxe cargo box is easier to latch, unlatch, raise, and lower with the integrated handle design and gas assist.
A prop rod is provided to hold the box in the upright position for operator convenience, as well as limit box pivot travel.
INTEGRATED TIE-DOWN POINTS
The deluxe cargo box offers integrated tie-down points for increased versatility. Tie-down points are located in the following areas:
- Four corners inside the cargo box bed
- Four points on the load guard directly behind the operator station (A)
- Tie-down bars on either side of the cargo box (B)
- Six points on the underside of the cargo box frame (circled)
CONVERTING DELUXE CARGO BOX TO A FLATBED
Optional accessories for the deluxe cargo box:
- See attachment Sales Manual information
CAUTION: Carrying extra-long cargo that extends beyond the box can adversely affect stability.
Attachment-ready electrical system
On M- and R-trim vehicles, adding attachments and accessories is made easier by the inclusion of some main wiring harnesses that facilitate efficient hook-up.